Tuesday 5 November 2013

Doesn't Get Any Easier for Me

So, as a carer life has been something of a roller coaster for the last however many years, all things considered more downs than up for me... I've been through every emotion you can imagine, except probably joy.

Two years ago now I got the news that my wife would never be well enough to return to the community, and though the diagnosis was still unclear, it didn't come as a surprise to me... a shock yes, traumatic yes, devastating yes, but not a surprise. I'd seen the spirit ebb away from her, she was becoming an almost lifeless living body, and it was so so hard to watch it happening... I could do nothing about it. It was happening and my situation had to change to cope with things... I was totally out of control of what was happening and simply couldn't cope with what was happening to us, and getting more and more upset.

One weight was removed from my shoulders when I was able to pay off our mortgage, but my wife continued to decline... the doctors said that they didn't have the facilities or specific knowledge of her condition, now confirmed as vascular dementia, and that she would need to be transferred to a residential care home. Now, if you've ever had to make that decision, to have your wife put into a care home, with all the publicity surrounding them, you will understand how stressful that was... to be honest, it was an easy decision, I could never have coped with her at home whatever level of support I had

It was obviously the right decision, you didn't have to think long to understand that, but that doesn't begin to address your emotions, they tell you another story... and the story I was hearing loudest was that I was abdicating responsibility, letting her down, taking the easy way out. Everyone I know told me that a residential home was the right place for her, that it was unfair on everyone to think of having her back at home.

Now she is settled in a magnificent care home, much of the pressure is off me, I don't have the day to day caring chores that others have, I can carry on with my life without having to spend every minute thinking I need to be back to wash her, dress her, clean her up or any of the other countless tasks that fall to the carer

So that makes it easy for me doesn't it? Really? If you haven't been there you will never know the levels of guilt I feel... should I have done something more to prevent the onset of the condition? Should I have been braver and looked after her at home longer? Well, the honest answer is I couldn't have prevented the condition, couldn't have delayed it... it is what it is. As for having her at her... well the medical advice was "no way" the advice from the family was "no way" and I know that given that the fact that a ward of the finest nurses I have ever encountered didn't have the skills and facilities to give her the best, what chance I?.

So, open and shut case, i have nothing to feel guilty about... wish someone would tell my mind that.

And another thing... the thing that really pushes my guilt into overdrive... why the hell should I be well, enjoy the grandchildren, when my wife... who was born to be a wonderful grandma... barely recognizes anyone and cannot know and love them... that breaks my heart... and I feel such huge guilt about it all.

I am also so torn about visits... I feel I should go every day... as it is, I only go twice a week at present, and yes there's another couple of notches on the old guiltometer.

When i do go, and see the condition she is now in, it breaks my heart again... I desperately want to see her, but when I do it makes me think of all the things she should be doing, we should be doing, now... and will never be able to do them together. That is when i am at my lowest loneliest ebb.

Yes I know I have nothing to feel guilty for, I know I have to now live for myself or go under. I know this... but believe me, every emotion in my being screams the opposite... it continues to tear me apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment